In continuing to tidy the craft room, here is another project finished. The walls of the house were woven. I bought two small looms last year and I played around with some possibilities, being very new to weaving. I used a handspun wool that I bought at the Victorian Spinners & Weavers Guild. The wool for the roof I spun myself on a drop spindle. I also bought a spinning wheel last year and got a lesson which mainly focused on drop spindles. I managed to spin enough to knit a roof. While I was making the house I was going to embroider a garden on the two plain sides, but decided it should be left plain. The house isn’t large enough for a doorstop being 15cm(w) x 12cm(h) x 8cm(d). At the moment it is sitting on the windowsill in the craft room.
Yesterday was a housework day, so not a lot of crafting got done. But I have this thing where I try to do at least one crafty thing each day. So I sewed the windows to the frame on the house I am working on. That is, I sewed the cream felt to the green felt. I also sewed the black felt to the green felt. Then I went and did the ironing.
I finished the weaving part of the little project I started. The photos show the two smaller pieces still on the loom. I wove them side by side which was easier than I was thinking it was going to be before I started. The next photo is all the pieces off the loom. And the last are waiting for the next step. All the ends have been tied and sewn in and the pieces have had a wash. The larger pieces measure 14x7cm and the smaller 7x10cm. I’m rather pleased with myself that I kept the pieces rather square, especially for being very new to weaving.
I set up the other weaving loom I bought on Ebay. It is a Brio, made in Sweden probably like the other one, in the 1960’s. It is smaller than the other and not as well finished, the wood is quite rough in places. I think when I have finished the project on the loom I will give it all a sand so it doesn’t rough up the threads so much. I like both the looms but don’t have a favourite yet, they both have some faults to overcome.
The warp in this loom is a wool thread I bought at the Tapestry Workshop in South Melbourne. The other wool is a handspun, hand dyed wool from the Handspinners and Weavers Guild.
I bought a weaving loom on Ebay, well two actually, this is the first. It is a child’s loom made in Germany in the 1960’s. I have never used a loom before, so it has been fun researching how to use one.
I kept it simple using the materials I had on hand and a simple weave, I wanted to just learn and play and not be pretentious about what I was making. The warp threads are cotton string from a great big cone I bought a couple of years ago. The weft is wool, two colours of wool that were gifted to me.
I don’t have the right tools to thread the warp into the heddle, but made do with cardboard and a needle. I think I did quite well for my first time. I didn’t pull the edges in, they are too loose if anything.
Now I might thread up the other loom and see how that goes.